Northern California Road Tip: Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Traveling across the country with a four year old is both terrifying and exciting. My son and I went on this same journey to visit my sister and her family a year earlier, so I knew he would enjoy the airport, planes, people and flying a bit more. Or I hoped he would. With zero delays and a timely take off we were off on an adventure. Now, lets fast forward to waking up the next morning to the unique surroundings of Northern California. (I don’t want to relive the flight experience, I know you will understand) We enjoyed family time, walking through the large redwood trees at Muir Woods and of course eating some delicious food.
I’m always in search of a family style chicken dish, especially one that uses minimal ingredients, many store bought, and a few simple steps. You can imagine my excitement when my sister told me about a Green Chile Enchilada dish she makes for her family. I knew I wanted to make the dish while we were visiting and have my little kitchen helper involved too. Assembling each layer was a perfect way for him to be involved making the dish. These deconstructed Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas were just as easy as she claimed and delicious too.
Recipe Source: Easy Green Chile Enchilada Casserole
- 4 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breast Halves
- Garlic Salt to Taste
- 18 (6 inch) Corn Totrilla
- 1 (28 oz) Jar of Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
- 1 (16 oz) Package of Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (or Mexican Mix Cheese)
- 1 (8 oz) Container sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Season the chicken with garlic salt and transfer to a medium baking dish
- Bake for 45 minutes until no longer pink and juices run clear (163°) Cool, shred and set aside in a bowl
- Over an open flame of a gas oven, char each tortilla. They will puff up slightly and edges will char a bit. Place each tortilla on a baking sheet or plate, set aside
- Time to assemble, In a large baking dish, pour a thin layer of green chile sauce
- On top of the green chile, place two whole tortillas, then a 1/2 of the chicken, then 1/3 Cheese, 1/2 sour cream and 1/3 of the green chile sauce
- Repeat and coat the remaining tortillas with remaining sauce and sprinkle the top layer with cheese
- Bake covered for 45 minutes in 350°
Nicole is a professional photographer, mother to an energetic toddler, and founder of Make and Taste. She has been a Commercial, Editorial and Lifestyle photographer for 7 years and has been published in various magazines and brand websites. Nicole is passionate about providing her child with meaningful experiences and documenting all of the fun along the way. You can always find her baking with her toddler and enjoying a good cup of coffee.